You know that part on Finding Nemo at the very end? The part where the fishes have wanted and wanted to be out of that tank and they finally make it out and into the ocean and they are just sitting there looking at each other and one of them says, "Now what?" Precisely how I'm feeling right now.
We wanted and wanted out of that hospital and we finally get home and get settled down and we look around like "what are we supposed to do now?"
It has been a huge adjustment being home.
Lizzie is doing fantastic - I can tell it's just very good for her to be home. Spencer makes her laugh all the time and helps us ease her burdens when she is getting her meds or having a sad time.
Calli has been throwing major tantrums every day - I think she's just readjusting to us being home - I'm sure it's hard for her especially since she and Lizzie have been good little friends and now Lizzie is different. We're hoping Calli will adjust quickly because she's really having a hard time. Spencer seems to be okay...I can tell he has some anger inside, but I think he'll be okay.
Lizzie is walking more every day and is working on stairs...she does okay coming down the stairs, but going up it's very difficult for her. She can eat completely on her own and sit up to our table so that's been great to have family dinners again.
I guess the biggest thing we're trying to deal with is how different our life is right now. I feel like I have a full time job with just Lizzie and then trying to figure out how to give enough attention to Spencer and Calli and all the stuff that we mommies do all day (and no, we don't sit around watching TV and eating bon bons!)
We are starting therapy next week and she has to get blood drawn twice a week, so we will be spending a lot of time doing that, but we're just glad she's on the road to recovery. She seems very stable and happy to be here. She is so tired and sleeps a lot still, but I'm sure she's just making up for 3 weeks of sleep deprivation and recovering from her surgeries.
It seems like every time I am starting to feel overwhelmed or sad, someone calls or comes in to help ease our burdens. I am convinced that people are just overwhelmingly good. I haven given up completely on mascara because someone does something nice for us and I just weep because of how helpless we feel and how grateful we are for the help. We are so glad to be home...I hope I haven't given the impression that we're not, it's just unbelievably weird while we're trying to figure out our "new normal."
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm sure it's a lot of hard adjusting for everyone. We would love to come and get Calli to play with Nixen for a while... I'll call you.
I am so glad things are returning to normal! It sounds like Lizzie is moving right along which is awesome! I wish I was closer to come help! I know this trial has strengthened all of your lives in different ways and I know I have learned so much from the trial that you have been going through! Thanks for always being such an example to me! Love you!
huh... you DON'T just sit around watching your stories and eating bonbons? What kind of stay at home mom are you? LOL. That's the joke at our house too. I'm glad things are going well and I hope the transition smooths out. Maybe you should have the older kids be guest bloggers on here and write how they feel and what they have experience. Maybe that will help them a little?
so glad that you are trying to adjust the new normal. Just remember-it's a new normal. Don't rush anything-Heavenly father is aware-he will help. I have tried to call-I am assuming you are overwhelmed. Call me when you can. I love you and I pray for you always!
I'm so glad Lizzie is adjusting and healing well. There is nothing more therapeutic than your own bed! I can totally relate to the 'new normal'. I look back at that time BT (before tumor) with such amazement that I could take it so for granted. I remember wandering around Wal-Mart like a zombie shortly after Matt came home and getting so upset at this mother who was being impatient with her little children. I just wanted to go shake her! She was just being normal - not abusive or anything - but I seriously wanted to go give her a lecture on enjoying the luxury of healthy children, sitting in the grocery cart, whining because she wouldn't buy them some trinket. I went to the car and just sobbed (I did that a LOT at first!) It's a very weird feeling! One wonderful thing about the whole experience, though, is that people are more willing to share THEIR burdens with ME. Like, women I associate with now know I can understand the heartache of having a sick child, or a wayward child, or a child who died. I appreciate the perspective that Matt's illness has given me because it's given me greater empathy and increased my ability to serve others. I hope that doesn't sound preachy! :) It's just such a fog when you are first experiencing it, and then it gets a little bit better and you can begin to see some of the purpose behind the trial. You are doing so wonderfully! How have Lizzie's sodium's been? Does she still seem to have her thirst mechanism?
So glad you guys are home! Please give me a call Carol, if you need to talk. I'll be in touch soon!
Carol, you will find your new normal. And even though it doesn't seem like it could be a good thing right now, it will become a good thing. Spencer and Kali will adjust and become little adults ready to take on the world for their sister. Daidre is my right arm and has been since she was three. I know my situation is different than yours, but I also know these same feelings, and so does the Lord. I love you. :)
Wow! I just got a little caught up on everything and I am so excited you are home with your family again! I am still praying for you and your little Lizzie! I know this has been hard and I hope you keep embracing all the help! Post pictures soon and send me a little privet fb email when you can. I need your address stuff!
Post a Comment