To adopt some of Lizzie's potty talk, this isn't dejavu, it's dejapoo. Poor Liz had a rough night. We had a room that was grand central station...right near a lot of noise, traffic and we had to share a bathroom with the adjoining room. I was internally grumbling because it wasn't ideal, but was trying to just be humble, but not very successfully.
This morning I was truly humbled when the charge nurse came in all apologetic and said they had to move us to a different room for some reason and would we accept a $15 gift card to the cafeteria for our trouble. hee hee, I was so excited! We now are tucked away in a little corner with little to no hallway traffic, our own bathroom and a flat screen tv...what more could you want?!
Lizzie's spirits are good. She is extremely agitated and her hunger levels are off the charts but as long as we keep on top of her pain meds and keep food in her belly, she is happy. This morning her nurse was asking her some questions to check her neurological status and she asked her how old she was. Lizzie looked at her with a funny look and said, "you already asked me that yesterday and I told you I was 5 1/2." I was giggling at how exasperated she sounded.
A bit of bad news today...Lizzie has two drains in her head. One on the left where her shunt used to be and one on the right where the brain hemorrhage occurred. The one on the right is the one they are most concerned with to get all that pressure off her brain. This drain is not draining properly. They think that because of the hemorrhage there are blood clots and other sluggish fluids that won't go through the drain. They have flushed it repeatedly, but it still will not drain. She is going to have another CT scan soon and if there is still a lot of fluid up there she will have to have another surgery...this one way more invasive where they actually remove some bone flap and completely flush out the old blood and fluid that is collecting.
We are really hoping they won't have to do this because she'll be in the ICU for a few days and then back to a normal room for a few more and then she still might have to have another shunt placed which is a few more days on top of that. Lizzie has threatened to run away to grandma's house to get out of here and if she makes a break for it, we'll be right along with her :)
Things are good. I feel happier today than yesterday. I was seriously ticked off yesterday, didn't want to be here, mad that this was happening, etc., etc. I prayed for a more humble heart and more love because I don't want to be angry the whole time we're here because that doesn't help anyone. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who helps even the most stubborn and grumpy of people (me).
Thanks for your prayers - I'm sure you're ready to stop praying for the Huff family by now, but please just a few more days and then we promise you can move on (we hope). No really, we so appreciate our support system and couldn't do it without help.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hang in there Huffies! Lots of prayers your way. :)
We love you!
Carol, I know we were never that close (except at Camp Williams that one year :), but can I just tell you how much love I have for you and your little family. I haven't commented much, but I am faithfully reading every post you write. Your attitude has INSPIRED me so much! I will keep praying for you and your little family. Also, we will be doing a special fast for you next Sunday. Hang in there, and until things get better, just know that you are loved, loved, LOVED!
I hope the day has been going well. You sure are beautiful people. Give Lizzie a hug from us.
Post a Comment