Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Quick Update

Things here are stable - we're happy about that! Lizzie is starting to show symptoms of severe, unending hunger. We were concerned about that happening and we were warned of it in the hospital. A lot of kids with brain tumors in the area where Lizzie's was suffer from Hypothalmic Obesity where they never feel full and their bodies gain weight no matter if they exercise and eat healthy foods. This link explains more if you're interested:

http://www.pituitary.org/library/library_detail.aspx?page_id=1836

It has been a struggle this week because Lizzie is constantly telling us how hungry she is even soon after she finishes a meal. We really don't want to be food nazi's so this is going to be weird for us. We are basically telling her she can eat all the fruits and veggies she wants and then meals and a couple other snacks during the day. Ugh! I was really hoping this wouldn't happen because Lizzie was already teased this year about being chubby.

I am having a hard time with this one because I don't want her to have to endure any more rude comments and meanness from kids - I know the Lord will give her and us what we need to figure this out and to help her.

Lizzie continues to be happy. We had therapy yesterday and our therapist (and neighbor) Lori told us that kids like Lizzie are usually grumpy/agitated or happy while recovering. We're lucky that Lizzie is happy. She laughs a lot and seems almost tipsy - it's pretty funny how much she laughs for no reason.

We are just so glad she's home, she's alive and that she is our daughter. We know and feel she is a special little soul and we feel privileged to be her parents.

9 comments:

Tausha said...

tough spot. I know that something will present itself in a solution or a way to deal with it in the most efficeint way.
Hey-call me when you want to go. I did get a dry socket-but hopefully we have everything under control now.
So-whenever.
Talk to you soon

Hermana Maw said...

Sweet Carol, we love you.

alligood said...

So sorry! It's just not fair that our kids fight cancer and then have such a devastating side effect from the tumor/surgery. It sucks. A lot!

Karen said...

Britt and I have wanted to come visit/play but we have both had lasting colds that we are trying to conquer first. I am so glad things continue to go well for Lizzie! How could Lizzie be anything but happy? She is so sweet and I hate to say it, but with her cute personality Lizzie will learn to deal with anything else she is called on to deal with! Your examples and the support of her great family will carry her through! But I really think she will be loved and accepted because she is so fun! We are anxious to get over there soon . . . We love you all!
The Gardiners

The "G's" said...

Thanx for your updates!!! Cute pictures of Lizzie! You must be special to have Lizzie as a part of your family. I would have a hard time with the food situation. She has a special personality. Is she just getting physical theraphy or speech, etc. theraphy. Spelling is off, sorry. Love, Lynn & Cheryl

AdAmy said...

This is just a prime example of why we should not judge people, because you never know what they are dealing with in there life.
So glad that Lizzie is home, stable and recovering! We think of your family often.

The Stanley's said...

I hope you are giggling as much as she is because that is the best medicine of all!

Shelley Hansen said...

I am glad that she is doing well.. I am especially glad that she is recovering with the giggles!
You could always put her in a private school or home school her.. school kids can be ruthless...

Jenn Lowe said...

Oh guys, we are so happy to hear that Lizzie is home and improving. Wow, life is fragile. We are here for you!